Engineers Construction, Inc. - Controller
- Professional/Managerial, Full-time, 1st Shift
- Williston, Vermont
- Manages Accounting Staff
- Reports to CFO
ECI is a family-owned general contractor specializing in civil, sitework, concrete construction, paving, railroad construction, and directional drilling. ECI was founded by Alan Pidgeon in 1965. Alan’s sons, Ken and Scott, took over corporate ownership in 2004. Alan added AC Paving Corporation to ECI back in 1973. Ken & Scott created ECI Directional Drilling, Inc. in 2000 and added ECI Rail Constructors, Inc. in 2006.
The controller is responsible for managing and overseeing all accounting functions and reporting requirements of the company, and related companies, including the daily operations of the accounting department.
- Minimum of 7 years experience in a Controller or Senior Accounting Manager role including at least 3 years of managerial experience.
- Preferable experience in a mid-sized organization within the construction or similar sector.
- Bachelor degree in accounting, finance, or equivalent.
- CPA accreditation is a plus.
- Highly analytical and detail-oriented with a strong working knowledge of business processes and accounting systems.
- Prepare and analyze monthly financial statements and other periodic financial reports.
- Maintain an adequate system of accounting records and a comprehensive set of controls designed to mitigate risk; enhance the accuracy of the company's reported financial results; and ensure that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Manage cash including monitoring the company's bank facilities, loan covenants, and projected cash needs.
- Oversee all accounting functions including A/P, A/R, job costing and in-house payroll including the design of the organizational structure to achieve goals.
- Prepare all information necessary for annual auditing of financial statements, working in collaboration with the company's external auditors throughout the audit.
- Prepare and file all monthly sales tax returns, quarterly and annual payroll tax returns, quarterly and annual vehicle tax returns and other required filings. Manage all regulatory filings as required by state agencies.
- Assist with calculating equipment rates for job estimating and job costing. Work with Project Managers and others as needed to analyze and understand costs on previous jobs to inform future bids.
- Assist with Human Resource functions including employee benefits, maintaining employee handbook, and maintaining employee files.
- Oversee 401(K) Profit Sharing plan, processing disbursements, facilitating audits, working closely with third party administrator to provide data and adhere to guidelines.
- Interview, hire, and train accounting staff; plan, assign and direct work; and conduct performance appraisals.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Needed:
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common financial reports and legal documents.
- Ability to direct and supervise accounting staff.
- Knowledge of corporate taxes, multi-state tax issues, human resources, AIA payment forms, pension and 401(k) plans, bonding, and insurance.
- A clear and thorough understanding of accounting-related IT needs for the organization and working knowledge of current accounting system. Ability to identify potential future IT needs.
- Ability to problem solve as well as prioritize.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- Ability to generate respect and trust from staff.
- Exemplifies integrity, honesty and trust.
- Encourages innovation, creativity and simplicity.
- Focuses on quality and outstanding work.
- Appreciates individual initiative and accountability.
Engineers Construction, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.