Location: Norwalk, Connecticut
Reports to: Civil Estimator
The Grasso Companies are expanding their private sector sitework and paving operations and have an immediate opening for a Junior Civil Estimator to join their team of professionals. The ideal candidate will have a B.S. Degree in Construction Management or Civil Engineering and 1-5 years of related experience. Grasso is offering a competitive salary commensurate with experience. This is a sensational opportunity to build a career with a well-established and highly-successful Connecticut-based sitework and paving contractor.
Responsibilities include supporting business development; supporting the estimating and bidding process for private work in Connecticut, Westchester County, New York and Southern, Massachusetts; supporting Project Management and material buy-out; and maintaining bid files, contact lists and relationships.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Help the leadership team identify current and upcoming project opportunities, market company services to new clients.
- Evaluate markets and make recommendations to management team on trends and margins.
- Establish project estimates, budgets and schedules.
- Ability to perform quantity take offs from bid plans.
- Manage the collection of material, equipment rental and subcontractor pricing.
- Write accurate scopes of work, terms and conditions, exclusions and inclusions for bid proposals.
- Review estimates and present to management.
- Produce and present Project Bid Proposals to prospective clients.
- Update labor and equipment bid rates, rental rates and monitor & apply changes in fuel costs.
- Organize and maintain project bid files and estimating log.
- Coordinate pre-construction meetings with staff and clients.
- Make timely, cost effective decisions, visit projects sites and analyze work in progress.
- Obtain subcontractor quotes, negotiate & write subcontracts if applicable.
- Maintain positive relationships with staff, any subcontractors, vendors and clients.
- Provide support to Project Managers to help ensure projects are completed on-time, under budget and that quality meets or exceeds the defined scope of work.
- Support field with pricing and cost support (change orders or potential change orders).
- Support field with scope of work clarifications.
- Expert knowledge of sitework and paving costs, materials, safety requirements, and construction means and methods.
- General knowledge of building construction.
- Knowledge of applicable construction codes.
- Familiarity with the applicable laws and ordinance regulating civil engineering and building construction.
- Ability to read and interpret civil plans and specifications.
- Above-average verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to use various essential computer applications.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management or Civil Engineering.
- 1-5 years’ experience as a civil estimator.
- Familiarity with HCSS HeavyBid Estimating Software a plus (3-day training is provided).
ABOUT THE GRASSO COMPANIES:
The Grasso Companies offer comprehensive civil construction service and solutions for commercial and municipal customers. From site development and paving to complex excavations and everything in between, their team members have the know-how and experience to handle projects of every size and scope with skill and confidence.
Whether you need help with just one aspect of your project or are seeking an organization you can trust to oversee and execute the whole thing from start to finish, Grasso has everything it takes to provide the results you expect and deserve.
Grasso Companies, LLC is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.