The Orvis Company, Inc. - Retail Store Manager (Chicago)
- Location: 142 E Ontario St, Chicago, IL 60611 – just off the Magnificent Mile.
- Full Time
- Relocation - N/A
- Manages all Retail Staff
- Reports to District Manager
About the Company:
In 1856, Charles Orvis founded the Orvis Company in Manchester, Vermont, offering the finest fly fishing equipment, and priding himself on customer satisfaction and service. Today, along with their world famous fly-fishing gear, Orvis offers distinctive clothing, home furnishings, gifts, and dog products. Each item is rooted in a heritage of authenticity and the outdoors, and is backed with a no-questions-asked guarantee. As the longest-running mail order business in the United States, and with their flagship retail store located in the same Vermont village as the original store since 1856, Orvis offers experience and knowledge that no other retail company can. Each day Orvis strives to apply what they know and learn to bring their customers even better service and products tomorrow.
Orvis Company associates take pride in our world-class service and products, treating customers, vendor partners, and each other with integrity and mutual respect. They work in a supportive, team-oriented environment, focusing on performance, continuous improvement, and exceeding customers' expectations. The Orvis Company and their associates are committed to giving back to their communities and protecting nature.
Orvis offers a comprehensive employee benefits package that includes medical, vision, and dental coverage, a generous merchandise discount, a scholarship program, and an employer-matched 401(K) savings plan. Orvis is an equal-opportunity employer.
This position reports to a District Manager. The Retail Store Manager will interface on a daily basis with store associates and the District Manager, the Director of Retail Sales and Operations, Human Resources, Retail Merchants and Planners, Retail Marketing, Accounting, and Orvis Service Center associates.
Performance will be evaluated on the position responsibilities and on the financial measurements of the retail store based on established standards and goals.
- Subscribe to the highest customer service standards, and provide a personal example for the team of a true retail professional at all times;
- Understand Orvis policy and procedures, adhere to them, and ensure compliance by the team;
- Be an ambassador of the brand and instill the Orvis Vision, Mission, Core Values, and Culture in the entire team;
- Communicate the Orvis brand and its lifestyle through creative and effective presentations, maintain visual standards, emphasize key product/corporate directed messages, and maximize sell-thru by product placement and signage;
- Ensure financial goals are achieved;
- Recruit, interview, hire, develop, coach, and train store associates to deliver sales and customer service objectives.
- Minimum of three years store management experience;
- Proven track record of building and leading effective teams from recruiting through retention;
- Excellent retail business acumen including selling skills, visual presentation, and sales analysis;
- Strong background in payroll planning and scheduling;
- Flexibility in personal time commitments to do what is necessary based on the needs of the business and the development of themselves and the team through continued Orvis training and cultural education;
- Up-to-date computer skills with the aptitude to learn and utilize business programs and the ability to teach these programs to the team;
- Physical strength to reach, move, and handle merchandise in high and low areas, and the stamina to execute floor sets;
- Ability to receive and process large shipments of merchandise daily as well as implement and oversee the efficient organization of inventory flow.
- Specialty retail experience with an emphasis on apparel;
- College degree.