Shawmut Design and Construction - Estimator
- Location: 11390 West Olympic Boulevard, Suite 200, Los Angeles, CA 90064
- Full Time
Estimator - Los Angeles Overview:
Shawmut’s primary objective is to deliver exceptional service catered to their clients’ specific goals and concerns. Their project teams deliver top quality work through a hands-on, collaborative process while keeping their clients’ best interests in absolute focus at all times. With specialized training and the support of a national company, Shawmut fosters project teams whose skill and dedication leads to deliberate, predictable and repeatable construction experiences that have attracted and retained the top clients in every market in which they focus. The most memorable construction experiences are based on one principle —it’s the people who make the difference. At Shawmut, they have the very best.
Shawmut is currently seeking a Project Estimator to join the Los Angeles office. The purpose of a Shawmut project estimator is to ensure that projects are set up properly to be executed to the highest standards on all varieties of projects. Tasks and work need to be completed accurately and on a timely basis to ensure the project is set up for success. This will be accomplished by personal workload and executing the project strategy established by the project team.
- Work in partnership with the project manager to plan the job prior to project initiation i.e. general conditions study, procurement schedule, logistics, etc.
- Maintain a full and current understanding of project drawings and plans.
- Obtain the best subcontractors, prepare and present bids, and drive the pace of the project.
- Ensure that the best bids are obtained for each trade, based on the needs of the project.
- Develop and execute pre-construction milestones on the project schedule.
- Develop comprehensive understanding of project strategy and deploy this throughout the estimating process.
- Structure a fair and comprehensive final sub bid process by incorporating all information from previous budgets, by educating all subs on the Shawmut view of the project, including, but not limited to detailed written scope of work, logistics, etc., so that they are all bidding on the same work.
- Collaborate with the Project Management and Purchasing Teams in set up of projects to insure profitability, client satisfaction and the best subs for the job.
- Present information and proposals effectively to clients based on their needs and preferences.
- Serve as mentor and coach to assistant estimators.
- Ensure a schedule is in place during project set up and sub-bidding that reflects that project strategy is sufficient to estimate from and to purchase subcontractors with.
- Maintain and develop relationships to reinforce a commitment to world class customer service across the board (including co-workers, clients, subcontractors, vendors, and the design community.)
- Exceed client expectations through an unwavering commitment to client satisfaction, accurate estimates, constructive and effective communication and an attention to detail that result in top notch project outcomes.
A complete position description available upon request.
- The ideal candidate will have proven experience working in a fast-paced, energetic environment while producing detailed, accurate estimates on multiple and varied projects.
- 4+ years’ experience in construction estimating, preferably with a commercial general construction company.
- Vast knowledge of all trades: scope, time frames/field execution, typical missed scope/exposures.
- Demonstrated understanding and knowledge about estimating processes and delivery methods.
- Understand MEP systems and components, and be able to scope and analyze MEP bids.
- Solid conceptual estimating experience.
- Demonstrated communication and presentation skills.
About Shawmut Design and Construction
Shawmut Design and Construction is a national construction management firm with offices in Boston, New York, Providence, Las Vegas, New Haven, Los Angeles, and West Springfield that builds exciting projects from coast-to-coast. Shawmut's main objective is delivering exceptional, personalized service to their clients. They accomplish this by truly listening to their client's goals and concerns as well as implementing comprehensive tools and services.
Shawmut's unique business model allows their project teams to better service their clients by focusing their specialized expertise within one of the following areas: academic, commercial, corporate interiors, cultural and historic preservation, healthcare and life sciences, hotels, gaming, restaurants, retail, spas and health clubs, and sports venues. This approach also has allowed them to diversify as a company, attract the best people, and cultivate a team of expert project executives, project managers, superintendents, and estimators.
Shawmut is 100% employee-owned which means each and every employee has a vested interest in the success of the company. It also means employees get to reap the financial benefits of being a part owner through the Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP).