Shawmut Design and Construction - Manager of Estimating and Purchasing
- Location: 11390 West Olympic Boulevard, Suite 200, Los Angeles, CA 90064
- Full Time
Manager of Estimating and Purchasing - Los Angeles Overview:
Shawmut’s primary objective is to deliver exceptional service catered to their clients’ specific goals and concerns. Their project teams deliver top quality work through a hands-on, collaborative process while keeping their clients’ best interests in absolute focus at all times. With specialized training and the support of a national company, Shawmut fosters project teams whose skill and dedication leads to deliberate, predictable and repeatable construction experiences that have attracted and retained the top clients in every market in which they focus. The most memorable construction experiences are based on one principle —it’s the people who make the difference. At Shawmut, they have the very best.
The purpose of this role is to bring a consistent approach to Estimating and Purchasing on Shawmut’s West Coast regional projects by adhering to Shawmut’s Policies and Procedures and further growing and developing subcontractor relationships in the area.
This position will be responsible for managing the Estimating process and actual purchasing of work on our regional projects as well as the review, purchasing setup and final sign off on the Project Budget to ensure client satisfaction and profitability.
As part of the Shawmut Leadership Team (SLT), this role has a critical voice in Retail/National Purchasing business decisions and is responsible for acting in a manner that is consistent with the best interests of the overall company.
Workload Planning and Forecasting for Estimating Team
- Tracks staff workload and deliverables, assigns projects to Estimators and establishes project teams in conjunction with Directors of Estimating.
- Oversees the project set up to ensure profitability and to focus project team decision making.
- Uses knowledge of negotiated and lump sum bidding to deliver outstanding client service and deliver the best price to the client.
- Expand the subcontractor pool to enable competitive pricing.
- Enhances subcontractor relationships
- Identifies new markets and vendor coverage.
- Buy out trade works on regional projects.
- Establishes financial targets with Group leadership for all projects.
- Reviews and initials all sub contracts. Reviews Project Managers scopes of work for accuracy and completeness.
- Sets expectations and provides timely and meaningful feedback for direct reports.
- Inspires, educates and coaches estimating staff to deliver superior client service and profitability.
A complete position description available upon request.
- 8-12 years of related Estimating and Purchasing experience.
- Prior experience working in a matrix organization preferred.
- Prior client services experience preferred.
- Education: Bachelor's degree preferred.
Additional Role Specific Skills:
- Strong communication abilities; including advanced presentation skills (verbal and written)
- Software: Excel, OST, Sage Estimating, CMiC, Cut & Fill
About Shawmut Design and Construction
Shawmut Design and Construction is a national construction management firm with offices in Boston, New York, Providence, Las Vegas, New Haven, Los Angeles, and West Springfield that builds exciting projects from coast-to-coast. Shawmut's main objective is delivering exceptional, personalized service to their clients. They accomplish this by truly listening to their client's goals and concerns as well as implementing comprehensive tools and services.
Shawmut's unique business model allows their project teams to better service their clients by focusing their specialized expertise within one of the following areas: academic, commercial, corporate interiors, cultural and historic preservation, healthcare and life sciences, hotels, gaming, restaurants, retail, spas and health clubs, and sports venues. This approach also has allowed them to diversify as a company, attract the best people, and cultivate a team of expert project executives, project managers, superintendents, and estimators.
Shawmut is 100% employee-owned which means each and every employee has a vested interest in the success of the company. It also means employees get to reap the financial benefits of being a part owner through the Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP).