Stone Environmental - Financial Controller
- Location: 535 Stone Cutters Way, Montpelier, VT
- Full Time Day Shift (40 Hours/Week)
The controller position is accountable for the day to day Financial Management operations of the company, to include the production of regular and periodic financial reports, maintenance of an adequate system of processes of accounting records, and a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy of the company's reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles.
This position reports to the Vice President (Financial Manager) of the company and Foundation Team Supervisor.
The person performing this job will be responsible for the following functions:
- Prepare and maintain regular financial planning reports including: monthly profit and loss statements and forecasts by division (vs. budget) with quarterly updates of budgets based on performance, cash flow statements and forecasts at least monthly.
- Complete analysis of financial results; develop recommendations (strategic and tactical).
- Develop and maintain capital budget, in collaboration with Executive and Senior Managers (EM/SM).
- Assist SM/EM in development of financial business planning and analysis exercises in forecasting reports.
- Participate in calls, meetings, and negotiations with Lenders to foster good banking relationships.
- Develop and utilize forward-looking, predictive models and activity-based financial analyses to provide cash management, operations, and investment strategies to improve company profitability.
- Support the SM and EM in development of corporate financial policies.
- With Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) trustees and third party administrators, assist in financial aspects of ESOP administration including the annual company and stock valuation.
Accounting and Administration Activities:
- Coordinate and participate in all day to day accounting and finance functions.
- Ajera administration and software support.
- Lead the company accounting function to ensure proper maintenance of all accounting systems and functions.
- Ensure maintenance of appropriate internal quality controls and financial procedures are legal and in compliance.
- Review all month-end closing activities including general ledger maintenance, balance sheet reconciliations and corporate/overhead cost allocation.
- Enhance and implement financial and accounting systems, processes, tools and control systems.
- Lead escalation for Accounts Receivable/Accounts Payable issues.
- Manage preparation and support of all external audits and proper filing of tax returns.
- Generate ACH and wire transfer batches, primary contact with the Bank.
- Oversee weekly cash management; approve weekly payables.
- Develop processes to minimize time to payment of AR; oversee AR management and provide leadership and support to collections activities.
- Assure all cash and investment accounts are reconciled monthly.
To be considered for this position, the following skills are required:
- Strong accounting skills, understanding of tax issues in an ESOP environment.
- Expertise in Financial Software (Ajera or Deltek) or similar, and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Demonstrate ability to generate customized financial reporting.
- Keen attention to detail.
- High level of self-motivation.
- Excellent problem solving, communication, and interpersonal skills.
Other Skills Preferred:
- Experience in a professional services firm.
- Experience in indirect cost rate calculations and negotiations.
Experience and Education:
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, 5+ years of progressively responsible accounting and managing experience including at least a minimum of 2 years in public accounting, or equivalent.
About Stone Environmental:
Stone Environmental provides scientific tools, information, and analyses to help clients solve complex environmental challenges. We are 100% employee owned and we are a community of talented and innovative individuals working together to ensure superior quality, relentless improvement and continued success as a company. We value each of its employee owners, their ideas and efforts, and serves its clients with fresh, quality solutions. We enjoy the work we do and share our passion with both our local and professional communities. Our team of scientists and engineers work in Vermont, New Hampshire, Florida, Colorado, and our clients rely on us because of our integrity and expertise.