Vermont Gas – Sr. Accountant
- Location: 85 Swift Street South Burlington, VT 05403
- Full Time
About the Position
The Senior Accountant position is responsible for all aspects of accounting for fixed assets, construction work in process, and work order systems including the transactional integrity of each of these systems. This position also includes property tax valuation and provides forecasting and budgeting support. The work includes constant collaboration and coordination to ensure accurate data. Much of the work is accomplished through report writing and analysis to ensure clear, reliable data, while working closely with various teams to ensure internal and external needs are met. The Senior Accountant is constantly searching for improvements and working to streamline processes.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for the creation of individual work orders, their coding as capital or expense, reviewing transactions and closing of completed work orders. Reconciles Work Order system CWIP balance to GL monthly. Reports results and explains variances.
- Manages the fixed asset system used to record and depreciate capital assets. Prepares monthly depreciation records for entry into General Ledger. Maintain tax depreciation records monthly in fixed asset system for use in company's tax accrual analysis. Working proactively with the construction and engineering teams to ensure financials reflects all activity.
- Compiles and reports the municipal and State tax reports of capital assets for property taxes to the State of Vermont. Responds to requests from city/town assessors or State of Vermont. Compares property tax bills to property asset values reported and works through discrepancies, if necessary.
- Conducts monthly close of capital expenditures and prepares related reports working closely with Operations team and Financial & Budget Analyst to track and explain variances to budget and forecast. Make recommendations to improve accounting and reporting methods.
- Ability to update the forecasting model as well as the annual budget and 5-year Plan.
- Support the month-end, quarter-end and year-end close processes. Assist junior accountants when necessary.
- Responsible for reconciling general ledger accounts as assigned by the Controller.
- Ability to develop and document business processes and accounting policies where necessary.
- Provide support to the regulatory team related to the annual cost of service filing or any State of Vermont requests, as necessary.
- Other duties as may be required or requested.
- Clear and effective communicator, a responsive listener, and an efficient collaborator in a way that builds excellent relationships both internally and externally. Ability to represent company when communicating with internal and external stakeholders.
- High degree of attention to detail, trustworthiness and comfortable dealing with numbers, complex spreadsheets, financial information and customers.
- Ability to translate and effectively communicate complex financial concepts to various audiences.
- Ability to flourish in a fast-paced, highly collaborative environment that requires flexibility, constant prioritization and organization.
- Accountable for considerable monetary responsibility, complete confidentiality, and reporting with an extremely high degree of accuracy and integrity.
- Ability to clearly communicate expectations and hold self-accountable for those expectations.
- Excellent technology skills – advanced proficiency with complex spreadsheet applications and financial analysis tools. Experience with work order systems highly desirable.
These skills are normally acquired with a bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business administration or the equivalent with a minimum of 3-5 years of experience.
Vermont Gas has a generous benefits package that includes comprehensive healthcare coverage, 401(k) with employer contributions and bonus potential. See all the details here.